BP is an exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Job title: Rig Systems Engineer
Job ID: 55367BR
Location: United States – Texas
The successful candidate will join the Gulf of Mexico (GoM) Regional Wells Team. The Rig Systems Engineer will be accountable for overseeing various projects in support of maintenance, integrity and modification of the BP-owned GoM Deepwater rig fleet. This position reports to the Rig Maintenance and Integrity Team Leader. The role is open to Mechanical, Electrical and Automation Engineers.
- Work safely and assure BP’s HSSE Policy and Operating Management System (OMS) is followed by persons involved with subsea operations and maintenance.
- Application of BP Electrical Engineering Technical Practices and Site Technical Practices, National Electric Code, applicable industry standards (NFPA, IEEE, API, IEC), and regulations (OSHA 1910.269 and Subpart S).
- Develop and setup new preventive maintenance and condition based monitoring tests as required
- Advise on maintenance and inspection frequencies and techniques
- Interface with the Rig Systems Subject Matter Specialist and Drilling Riser Teams
- Lead rig equipment maintenance and modifications including required recertification of major equipment. Support rig operations teams and drilling contractor for daily management of BP owned GoM rigs and rig systems equipment.
- Manage mechanical and P&ID drawing “red-line” backlog
- Manage electrical drawing “red-line” backlog
- Manage instrument and control drawing “red-line” backlog
- Assures risk management processes related to rig systems are in place and are effectively implemented
- Interface with Wells Team Leaders, Facilities Managers and Drilling Contractor personnel on daily well operations and support.
- Interface contact for drilling contractor and equipment service providers and OEMs with regards to BP rig ownership, contractual issues and performance expectations.
- Assures consistent application of engineering standards and appropriate levels of standardization
- Participate in risk assessments
- Support the application of the Engineering Technical Practices relating to rig systems equipment.
- Monitor equipment failures and repairs, when necessary undertake root cause failure analysis
- Assures global best practices, learning’s and best applicable technologies are incorporated into BP owned rigs.
- Work with drilling contractor to mitigate HSSE incidents by implementation of proper maintenance programs, sparing philosophies, procedures and personnel equipment training.
- Review, select and approve rig equipment purchases and or service work repairs within DoFA (Delegation of Financial Authority).
- Work with PSCM to assure all rig system equipment providers are identified and contracts / work releases are current.
- Assures drilling contractor maintains maintenance procedures, spares inventory that are adequate for safe uninterrupted operations.
- Provide advice and technical support to Wells Teams.
- Assist drilling contractor to identify areas for improving uptime drilling equipment performance.
A Bachelor degree in a relevant science or engineering discipline or commensurate industry experience. Licenced Professional Engineer preferred.
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in engineering, maintenance or operation of drilling rigs with a preferably minimum of 5 years associated with 5th generation new-build rigs.
- Working knowledge of applicable industry codes (NFPA, API, IEEE, IEC, OSHA, etc.)
- Power generation and distribution experience
- Knowledge of drilling control systems equipment desirable. Experience with PLC installation and programming.
- Demonstrated experience working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong planning and engineering design skills.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to perform cost estimation and risk analysis.
- Understand of reliability and risk mitigation in electro/mechanical/marine systems
- Able to provide operation support to field teams and exhibit HSE behaviors.
- Experienced in working with OEMs
- Knows how to make decisions to assure safe, compliant, reliable operations and to mitigate risk
- In addition the successful candidate is likely to be able to demonstrate
- Strong commitment to HSSE in support of BP’s core values of no equipment damage, environmental events or harm to personnel.
- Previous responsibility in an assurance role for the start up of a new rig demonstrating integrity of plant and competence of people.
- Strong background in rig maintenance to minimize rig downtime.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Other Requirements (eg Travel, Location)
Good communication skills, (verbal, written and presentation).
Good project management skills and supervising of internal and external consultants/contractors.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Organized to effectively manage multiple priorities
Aptitude to innovate and be open to new ideas
Experience of incident reporting and investigations
To apply for this job, CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW