The MPA Global Internship Award (MPA GIA) is a partnership between MPA and the maritime companies. Under this fully sponsored internship programme, high-achieving local undergraduates will undergo a 10-week internship with international maritime companies with up to four weeks spent overseas. This programme aims to deepen students’ understanding of the maritime industry, and enhance their employability and career opportunities within the maritime industry.
Students will undergo a pre-internship training conducted by MPA. This would give students an overview of the maritime industry, providing a good foundation before starting their internships at the maritime companies.
Internship: Students will undergo a 10-week maritime internship during the May – July vacation in Semester 2, and will include an overseas stint of up to 4 weeks.
Post-internship: Students are requested to submit an internship report.
The award is opened to high-achieving students from the Nanyang Technological University, the National University of Singapore and the Singapore Management University with the following requirements:
- Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident
- Currently in the penultimate year of study
- Possess good academic record (top students of the cohort).
- Reading any of these disciplines: Maritime Studies, Economics, Business, Accountancy, Law or Engineering
The award will cover your internship allowance for the internship period, overseas allowance for the period that you are overseas, cost of return economy-class airfare and travel insurance.
List of Participating Companies 2015:
- Augustea Pacific Pte Ltd
- Austral Asia Line Pte. Ltd.
- BP Singapore Pte Ltd
- Braemar ACM Shipbroking Pte. Ltd.
- DNB Bank ASA Singapore Branch
- Farstad Shipping Pte. Ltd.
- Fednav Singapore Pte. Ltd.
- Galborg Pte. Ltd.
- Howe Robinson Shipbrokers Singapore Pte. Ltd.
- IMC Pan Asia Alliance Pte Ltd
- Island View Shipping International Pte Ltd
- J. Lauritzen Singapore Pte. Ltd
- Jan De Nul (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- New Pacific Line Pte. Ltd.
- Norden Shipping (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- Oldendorff Carriers (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- Pacific International Lines (Private) Limited
- Pacific Radiance Ltd.
- Rickmers Asia Pte. Ltd.
- Rio Tinto Shipping (Asia) Pte. Ltd.
- Simpson, Spence & Young
- Teekay Navion Offshore Loading Pte. Ltd.
- The Shipowners’ Mutual Protection And Indemnity Association (Luxembourg) (Singapore Branch)
This is an online application. Students should prepare the following documents before application:
(ii) latest university transcript
(iii) a write-up on why you wish to apply for the MPA GIA.
Students may apply for the MPA GIA through their relevant university body in charge of internships and attachments.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for an interview.
Students are encouraged to read up on the different sectors within the Maritime Industry.
To apply for this internship award, click the “apply now” button below: